Geek News

Headlines

Thursday, November 6, 2008

MIA

Yes, I have been missing in action for the last 2 months. Work has been hectic and I have fallen to the evil gremlins of laziness. They sucked away my desire to post anything on this blog. Alas, I devised a scheme and successfully locked them away for now.

Anyway, I will be blogging on a few key things that have been happening in my life since the last time we visited. But, the biggest news is of the election of Barack Obama to the President of the US of A. Truly a historic moment in our nations history. I caught the concession and acceptance speeches from McCain and Obama on election night. They were both very good speeches. I must say, if John McCain was able to speak like that in the debates I think we would have had a much closer election. I don't think the outcome would have been much different (The Bush administration influenced much there), but it might have been a tighter race.

Historians and pundits alike will add there theories to this election in the future, but what struck me was an article I read that mentioned that this was the most technologically ran election to date, utilizing tech/geek outlets largley ignored by past candidates. Obama lead the charge with a grass roots internet campaign to raise a ton of money, advertising in video games and hosting a website with his policy outlines. He used text messaging, email and computer messaging to promote his campaign. This lead to a strong voter turn out and eventually his election.

I wonder how the landscape will change in the future as more and more candidates, be it for the Presidency, Senate, Congress, Governor, or Mayor, embrace the ever growing technological universe to promote themselves and to see what kind of success they will have. It makes sense as at least 159 million cell phone subscribers are walking around with these devices- what better way to "talk" to people than by sending an SMS message. Have we turned a corner here? It will be interesting to see what the fallout of technophiles and non-technophiles shake out if indeed this is a winning strategy. Only time will tell.

l8r

1 comment:

Don Snabulus said...

More like the evil gremlins of exhaustion I'd wager...

Howard Dean's crew deserves some credit for doing some great Netroots work back when it was relatively unknown. Viral video of the "Dean scream" killed the candidacy before it made it very far, but the seeds were planted.

Obama's campaign was much better organized than Sen. McCain's and I think Sen. Clinton's as well.

I believe a change was needed and I hope Obama improves some things that really need it.

Sadly, I never received any Obama e-mails or SMS messages. I am a techno-Luddite.