Geek News

Headlines

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Seriously Excellent

I am still trying to digest The Dark Knight. It is in simple words- un-fucking-believable. I was very hyped for this flick, but not even those expectations prepared me for the very well written, well acted and smartly paced movie I have seen so far this year. Talk about heady stuff- the moral choices asked of the characters in this movie is not your usual popcorn fluff. This movie will make you think and will leave the little spinning gears in your head clicking well after the movie is finished. I still need some time before a write up my thoughts on the movie- but do not hesitate to see this if you haven't already. It's PG13- but it sure didn't feel that way. Nolan has a great way of letting your mind finish off a scene without showing you the details. This film is gory in each and every viewers minds- kudos for that.

As for Heath Ledger and his Joker...this film is truly unique in that with such an iconic role to fill, Ledger loses himself in it and completely wipes any comparisons to previous Jokers ever. period. The unique quality of the film is that he does not overpower the other actors- believe it or not- Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Cain, Morgan Freeman, and Maggie Gyllenhaal turn in great performances and all have a chance to shine. I am planning to see this again on IMAX (couldn't at first because they were all sold out), so I can relish the details.

Is this a cinematic masterpiece? That I am not sure of, nor, would I venture I am qualified to say. What I know for sure is: this is the best damn Batman movie ever and probably the best damn comic book movie ever.

Go and see this. I'll have more to write about The Dark Knight after I have time to put my thoughts together.

l8r

1 comment:

ladybug said...

Sounds like it's a hit! Heath should've been around to see it. Bummer, the guy was a mere kid to me (in his early 20's still right?), but evidently had some deep personal demons.

I keep my demons in an old Toblerone Chocolate box (the triangle one). Seems to keep them amused.... :P